Friday, April 01, 2011

The talk

We had the talk. Not the one about where babies come from; they
already have a vague notion about eggs and sperm and pregnancy.

We had the talk about what happens to a girl's body as she becomes a
woman. Maia had some questions about those little diapers she saw in
the cupboard. Frankly, I was wondering when one of them would notice
so they could ask. I promised to tell her all about it this evening
when we had more time.

I imagined some Family Ties moment with the kids scrunching up their
noses or getting really worried. I pictured awkwardness, embarassment,
or a stilted conversation.

But that's not what happened. They we fascinated. I started at the
beginning, so it wasn't long before Solanne asked what all this had to
do with the little diapers. But she was patient, as was Maia. Their
eyes were wide and interested, not at all weirded out. And, oddly,
neither was I.

So now they know what those products are for and what will happen to
their bodies in the next few years. And they aren't worried; they may
in fact be excited.

Phew.


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: